So we’re bringing a big dose of happy to your midweek right now because today, we’ve teamed up with the awesome Kirsty Mackenzie Photography to give you (yes, you!) the chance to win your wedding photography. Oh yes indeed, you read that right and can you just imagine how amazing it would be if you’re the lucky winner of this fantastic competition? Now’s the time to stop what you’re doing and read on to find out more but first, let’s say hello to Kirsty Mackenzie…
Tell us a little about yourself…
I’m Kirsty, an easy going, alternative wedding photographer. I’m a very down to earth girl that loves photographing weddings and all things awesome. I’ve always been on the arty side of life, constantly with a paintbrush or camera in hand.
I absolutely adore photographing weddings, the quirkier and more free-spirited the better! I’m also a big believer of the smaller details. I love to capture beautiful and natural moments.
I live with my lovely, sort of charming boyfriend Greg, in a little flat in South West London. We love to travel, eat good food, and have a few adventures. In my spare time, I can be found editing weddings in my light-up unicorn slippers, spending time with special ones, and dreaming about owning a kitten (one day). Also food – food is very important – as is gin.
If you had a chance to go to any music festival, which one would it be?
Burning Man festival is definitely at the top of my bucket list – I love the whole creative and inclusive vibe, where everyone has their part to play. Plus, being in the dessert and having a massive rave sounds seriously fun too!
What made you decide to become a wedding photographer? What were you doing before?
Whilst studying my degree in Photography I assisted on a bunch of different photo-shoots, but was never really sure what type of photography I wanted to get into. After finishing my degree in the summer of 2012 (and thus having no idea what I wanted to do with my life), I started assisting various different photographers, and fell in love with wedding photography. I love photographing people in love. I started up my very own little wedding photography business in 2013 and haven’t looked back since.
Tell us a little bit more about your style of photography…
This is always a hard question for me! My style probably lends itself to creative documentary wedding photography.
I’m all about the natural moments, wedding photos are so much more than just a few nice posed shots to prove you put a ring on it; it captures your life, the special people in it and all those beautiful imperfect moments you don’t even realise are happening. From crying as you say your vows, to sweaty shape cutting on the dance floor, to laughing so hard you snort prosecco out of your nose. I’ll be there capturing it all as it happens.
There’s no stiff awkward portraits, or Chandler Bing smiles; just meaningful moments and life long memories.
What are some of your favourite memories + experiences from previous weddings/couples you’ve worked with?
There are so many I don’t know if I’ll be able to answer this properly!
From first looks, to emotional speeches, to tracker rides, to trousers splitting. I usually end up smiling so much I get jaw ache! I go through all the emotions with my couples and I love every minute of it!
My favourite moments are usually the one that aren’t planned.
What are your favourite elements of the day to shoot?
I love nailing a good confetti shot, as well as getting some lovely natural moments. Creative couple photos are also some of my favourite photos too. Plus, I also have a love\hate relationship with group shots. I love creating the family history that will be passed down generations. I hate gathering and organising people when all they want to do is be off having fun!
If our readers were to work with you for their wedding, what can they expect?
My main aim, when working with any couple getting married, is for them to have an amazing, relaxing experience working with me. I want them to be able to look back through their photos and smile, laugh and even get a teary eye at the wonderful moments that have been kept alive with my camera (by the way, I am in awe of the camera and its ability to freeze moments in time – it’s kind of magical)
How do you know if a photographer is right for your wedding?
There are thousands of photographers who take the same kind of style of photos, but you want someone you can have fun with, hang out with and not feel uncomfortable around.
What’s your best piece of advice for couples who’re trying to choose their photographer?
It’s so important when booking a wedding photographer that you find someone whose approach is a good fit for you and how you want your day to be recorded. Do your research and read testimonials.
Also, I would say always chat to each photographer you are thinking of booking, and then imagine which one you could see yourself hanging out with. Us togs are the people you spend the most time with out of any supplier on the day so it’s so important that you get along with them.
Now, tell us all about the competition!
I would like to offer one lovely Festival Brides reader the chance to win free wedding photography coverage for their wedding day!
- First Prize – win free wedding day photography (max 10 hours), with approx 500+ fully edited images on a USB packaged with love and care!
- Second Prize – 50% off any wedding package Kirsty Mackenzie Photography offers.
- Kirsty Mackenzie Photography is willing to travel anywhere for an awesome wedding – but will need travel costs / accommodation paid for if necessary.
- Albums & Prints can be purchased separately if desired.
- To enter the wedding must take place in 2018 or 2019
To enter simply drop Kirsty an email to firstname.lastname@example.org entitled “Free Wedding Photography Contest” by Sunday 1st October 2017, including a few paragraphs about yourself and your wedding. Please include:
- Your names
- Your wedding date
- Your wedding location(s) and or venue(s)
- A recent photograph of the two of you
- Some details about your wedding – including inspirational images or links to wedding Pinterest boards.
Winners will be selected by Kirsty Mackenzie Photography, and notified via email after the closing date of the competition. The winner will have one week to email their confirmation and address to claim their prize.
Wow Kirsty! That’s just beyond brilliant! If you’re entering, then good luck!
- The winners will receive 10 hours of wedding day photography from Kirsty Mackenzie. Prize also includes and a usb of 500+, fully edited wedding images.
- Closing date for entries is 01/10/2017. Winners will be selected by Kirsty and will be notified by email after that date.
- The wedding can take place anywhere in the world!
- Contest open to all readers of Festival Brides over the age of 18.
- Reasonable transportation (and accommodation if required) costs from London for Kirsty Mackenzie must be covered by the winners.
- Only 1 entry per couple.
- Winners must be willing to be featured on Festival Brides and kirstymackenziephotography.co.uk.
- Copyright of publicity will belong to Kirsty Mackenzie Photography.
- If for any reason the advertised prize is unavailable, Kirsty Mackenzie reserves the right at its absolute discretion to substitute a similar prize of equivalent or greater value. None of the prizes may be exchanged or transferred and no cash alternative will be offered.
- By entering the draw, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete.
- Liability cannot be accepted for entries which are lost in transit or not received due to technical difficulties.
- Kirsty Mackenzie’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winners will be contacted via their email address within two weeks of the competition draw date.